My flex plate on my 1965 flash-o-matic loosened an egged out the bolt holes that hold it to the crank. Will a 1968 flex plate interchange?

Asked by Jul 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM about the 1965 AMC Rambler American

My transmission shop says they cannot locate a flex plate thru their sources.  So I called a local AMC fan who said he had one from a 1968.  He said to weld the holes and then have them re-drilled.  My tranny guy said he would not recommend it.  "They are called flex plates for a reason"

96,645

When you weld something it changes the metal, and a flex plate is something you should not weld, if they have one you will be money ahead to replace it.

Best Answer
96,645

As far as interchange you will have to do that visually, if the size, bolt pattern and balance point and weight size is the same it should work.

I have a complete 232 engine with flex plate for 150.00 dols.

runs like a clock,37000 ml.