O/D OFF light

Asked by Jan 19, 2009 at 11:14 AM about the 2000 Ford Contour

I have a 2000 Contour, 4 cyl. The O/D OFF light came on and stayed on until I shut the car off. When restarted I haven't seen it since. There's no over drive switch. Could they have used this instrument panel for cars that did have an O/D switch and this light means nothing to me? Just an O/D OFF light gone wild?

1,185

You likely have a AOD-E tranny in your contour (i didnt look it up but im pretty sure thats what ford was using for their auto trannys) and to my experience there has always been a button on the passenger side of the shifter that turned the OD off... i would not think that the light has 'gone wild' because usually it takes its top off for that haha just joking but seriously its more likely that it was shut off by pushing a button somewhere... fortunately if it happens again just pull over and restart the car... it will default mode to the OD on

55

there is an OD off button on the underside of the shifter on the drivers side

515

I would suggest you read the owner's manual about this O/D function. You may find that the car does have a switch and you perhaps accidentally selected the function off. O/D on/off switches are usually located in the shifter so that you can select it this function off during special conditions. Read up the manual and your answer should be there. Good luck.