Fuel light

5

Asked by Mar 29, 2009 at 04:04 AM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus

I have a 2000 Stratus, and after filling up one day, I noticed that the fuel light would come on and the needle would start dropping and then the light would go back off and the needle would return to full just as suddenly. It does this several times. I haven't noticed it in the last couple of weeks, but I might have gotten used to it if it still does it. Does anyone know if this is common or if I should get it checked out.

215

My 1996 Intrepid did this -- though my 03 Stratus hasn't as of yet -- it's due to: 1) A fault Fuel Sensor on the fuel pump 2) Dirty connections on the pump to sending unit. Better off getting a new pump all together... otherwise try here for info and posting a thread: http://www.2gss.org

5

We ended up having to replace the pump and my tank. And now the gauge doesn't work at all, it either stays at full or says its empty and the light'll come on, but at least I know about how many miles I can get before having to fill up. Keeping an eye on the trip is useful, but I was overdue on my oil change because I wasn't paying attention to the mileage, just the trip, but its all good for now.