My dodge neon won't run like it's suppose to please help.

Asked by May 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM about the 2000 Dodge Neon

My dodge neon starts the first time and acts fine when I drive it down the road about
half a mile it loses power and shuts off. it'll crank back up half the time the other half it
won't. If it does crank and I drive it home, when I crank it in the yard it idles really hard
like it shakes the whole car. When I rev it up it works a little better. When it won't
crank if I pat the gas pedal it'll stay on for as long as i'm patting the gas. I need help
i've replaced the coil pack and cam position sensor. Please help me figure out whats
wrong with my car it's the only one I have.

300

turn the car off and on but don't let it crank. listen for your fuel sending unit to come on in the tank. if you cannot hear it then i would replace it. also check to see if there are any blockages in the fuel lines.

its very loud when I turn it on. I tried listening but I can't hear anything over the engine.

300

keep the engine off. cycle through the key switches without turning the engine on. thats probably the only time you will be able to hear it. the fuel system is a pressurized system. the fuel sending unit builds pressure in the tank to force the gas through the gas lines into the engine. if the fuel sending unit is bad you may have gas flowing to the engine off of the vacuum of the motor keeping it running, and when you go down the road it starves itself of gas

What should it sound like? I don't hear anything. Right now it won't crank if i tap the gas it acts like its trying but when i stop it dies.

300

when is the last time you replaced the fuel filter. and you should hear a kind of buzzing/humming sound in the tank, it only does it for a few seconds

Okay and i'm not sure about the fuel pump just got the car previous owners had it sitting up for 4 years without maintenance. Ihave very small amount of tools is the fuel filter easy to get to?

300

fuel filters generally are in easy places to get to, there are videos on youtube that usually have a person showing you step by step how to replace it if you are not familiar with it. also if it has been sitting up for that long it would be your best bet to go to a parts store and buy a bottle of seafoam, this will clean the fuel system parts you can't get to(fuel lines, tank) if the problem persists it would be a good idea to take your car to a shop and tell them to check and see if your fuel sending unit is bad, don't let them sell you one, buy your own parts and have someone you can trust put them on, they will sell you more parts than you need just to make all the money they can