van won't start no noise full battery I'm at my wits end

65

Asked by Oct 01, 2015 at 10:47 PM about the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I am having trouble with my 2000 Grand Caravan. It was running great. I drove it to work and when I got back into it after 10 hours, it would not start. I turn the key and it has full power to lights, radio, dash, ect and I hear the fuel pump wind up but there is no turn over. Nothing, no sound from the engine at all. I've changed the starter (I suspected the Solenoid was bad), I've replaced the starter relay with a new one, I've checked and cleaned all the fuses under the dash and inside the engine (none were blown) and I've made sure the battery is fully charged. The only thing I haven't done is replace the connector for the starter (the one that comes out the large bundle of wires that is in the way when loosening the starter bolts). I'm not sure what else to try. Does anyone have any other ideas?

148,425

Wow this is a tough one. You have done all the right things. The only thing you didn't mention is cables, the 0g battery cables the wire under the insulation can sever between at the terminal and show no indication by sight. (This happened to me - no sign of damage but no connection to terminal) Either Red+ or Black -- and before you drop money on a new set of cables test them - for continuity.

535

omg 2000 caravan the asd relay recieves a ground signal from computer . if no ground just put a comp in it .your description we have seen dozens of time and will never forget the first one it drove all my techs crazy. many after market auto part store can get you a plug and play ( pre programed). or you can do it yourself, we use these folks 18663264227. have this info ready vin ,mileage, year make , model . doing it your self can save you alot.

65

Thank you for your answer. I am a DIY but no training as a car tech. {asd relay recieves a ground signal from computer . if no ground just put a comp in it } Put a Computer in it? Is it a computer board connected to the PCM? Am I testing the ground for the ASD relay? {or you can do it yourself, we use these folks 18663264227.} Sorry but I have no idea what the string of numbers is supposed to represent. Thank you for explaining. I really am an idiot sometimes.

65

Holy crap, I just realized that the string of numbers is a phone number. I'm so slow. (fordnut) I'm going to test the continuity of the wires today. Thanks

535

driver side fuse box has several relays in it starter, fuel pump,asd ect... fyi asd =auto shut down , sorry about the numbers i will use dashes from now on , when testing relay you should have 4 terms two hot one ground and one open. wiyh key on the open should go ground. hope im helping

535

oh yea one more thing if this turns out to be the problem PLEASE KNOW YOU CAN NOT IN ANY WAY PUT A USED COMP IN IT WILL NOT WORK AND ARE NOT REPRGRAMABLE

65

Thank you again. I looked up asd and found that it refered to the auto shut down. Once i realized that, I assumed you meant the auto shut down relay. Sorry I really am an idiot. I replaced the starter relay before and the problem persisted. Unfortunately I did not realize that the asd need special programming. I tried moving the asd to the starter relay spot and may not have moved it back. I think I'll go purchase a new asd relay just to be safe. I'll let you know what happens.

65

OK, I've moved the shutdown relay back to its original spot but still no love. I removed the starter relay and used a piece of wire and jumpered the 30 to 87 terminals.I jumpered the starter relay to test the PCM was sending power along.The car wanted to start. I replace the starter relay and attempted to start with the key. It started and ran but the engine was very rough and it didn't "feel" like it was in proper gear. I turned the van off and tried to restart but no love. Any ideas. I'm still at a loss. Am I on the right track?

535

focus on asd thats where fuel and starter relaysget power .i have seen this be very intermitten so remove asd ,with key on engine off test for two pins being hot . next attach your test light to battery pos and test that the other two pins are ground this will tell you that these curcuits are good. you can test the relay itself by applying a power and ground and testing for continuity acrosed remaining term. ( a relay is just a switch an electromagnet opens - closes the switch there sould be a diagram on the relay) once you KNOW the asd is working proper we can move on. you need a test light and a dvom (volt meter ) this will help us repair this van

65

Sorry for the delay but I worked Saturday and Sunday at the fire house and got 3 hours of sleep. Monday I had to sleep most of the day (I'm not as young as I used to be) so I didn't get back to the van until today. I checked the asd and starter relays for power and grounds. Because of my skill level, I only hope I did it correctly because they appeared to be good. On a whim (I get those once in a while) I removed the starter switch from the steering column. I plugged all the connectors back into it (my intention was to check for power to the switch) and used a screwdriver to move the actuator (I assume that is what the point where the metal rod enters the switch is called). The van fired right up and ran smoothly. I shut the van down again and manipulated the actuator again. Again it fired right up. Its a new lock cylinder so what does this tell me? Is there a piece in the steering neck that I should be looking at now? I'm soooo confused.

65

Update. I attached the ignition switch back to the steering column and reinstalled the lock cylinder and tried to start the car again. This time I get a rapid clicking from the asd relay. Does this mean that my lock cylinder is bad or is it something else altogether?

65

Another update: I took the lock cylinder out again and attempted to start the van with a screwdriver. Well it starts every time. I assume that means that the lock cylinder I just replaced was not the correct one for the van. I noticed that there is a piece on the back side of the cylinder that should poke out when the key is turned (the old one did) but on this cylinder it does not. I will attempt to purchase another lock cylinder and try again. At least I can use my van again. Thank you to everyone who tried to help. It was very much appreciated.

535

sounds like you got it ,your welcome glad your back on the road

65

I spoke too soon. Yes the van is running now but when I pulled it out of my driveway, it's running very rough. It's usually a smooth ride. I was wondering if the starter that I replaced before could have something to do with it? I plan on pulling it back off ad trying to reseat but what should I look for? I mean I know the belt is right there but is there a way to insure I get the teeth lined up correctly? thanks for your help again. Sorry to be so needy.