I recently bought a 2000 dodge durango and now when i start it if I don't keep my foot on the gas it will die, after holding gas pedal for a few minutes it will normally drive but about half the time when I slow down it will die again. Also yesterday even with a full tank of gas the gas gauge read empty. Its back to full now but I'm really worried, I'm a mom of 3 and have no idea what to do...please help

145

Asked by Apr 04, 2013 at 04:27 PM about the 2000 Dodge Durango

OK Nicki, we are here to help..if we can. You have an electrical fault somewhere, especially when you describe what's going on with your gas gauge. Our problem is diagnosing these things from what information you provide, you articulated your trouble well.. but still, not being at the car, trying to do this from a million miles away by typing is very difficult. What you need to do is get to a large auto parts store, AutoZone, something like that and ask them to scan your OBD. They will do it free. You will get codes, probably beginning with "P" for Power train, followed by four numbers, for example P1234. Write down the codes, forget about what the guy wants to sell you, forget about the jargon, get the code numbers and bring them back right here. One of us will be happy to help you with what to do. Best of luck, sooner you get that done sooner we can help.

Meantime, pop the hood and look at your battery. If you see greenish/white corrosion on and around the terminals, simply squirt it off with a water hose....for now. If they are corroded they need to be taken off and cleaned properly with a wire brush or even at the Dollar store they sell battery terminal cleaner tool..it has a stiff wire brush for the inside of the cable end, and another wire brush that fits over the post of the battery, twist and clean. I don't know if you have any tools to take the battery cable off..or help..but that is the first thing to do

Re~reading your entire question, it sounds like it is starving for fuel, and combined with some sort of electrical fault with the gas gauge, could be fuel pump. I am making an assumption ...that you are in the "same boat" so to speak, as myself and so many people, you don't have the money to just take it to a shop. I wouldn't either..most of us..but I guess that is why you ask here. Best of luck Nicki, bring us those codes

THAT is hands down, no contest, coolest avatar ever you have there.

145

I had them run a diagnostic on it and no codes popped up, they told me that with the service engine light not on it normally wouldn't give a code. I did have sleeves put on battery posts(thats what they called them at least) i thought battery was dead and when i checked on it the maintenance department said it was one cable was loose. after they did that it ran perfect for one day and then started doing this, thank you so much. I'm having my neighbor check the battery now. will post what he finds...again thank you, I really appreciate it. I really know nothing about cars, except where to put the gas

Whoever told you that it won't throw a code because the service engine light is on is, uh, be nice now, David...mistaken. Some of the guys that do the scans actually know what they are doing. Then again some of them know jack squat, can hardly find where tor OBD port is. OK. The black wire must also be properly grounded, attached to the chassis/frame of the truck. That 'loose wire' just may be the root of the deal..happy to hear you have some help.

145

thanks, yeah I don't really have the money to take it to a shop. I might be able to once the problem is diagnosed, I just can't pay $45 an hour for labor for them to try and diagnose problem that could take forever. I will try to take it somewhere else for diagnostics and tell them what you told me and with any luck get a code. Another problem I'm having is the fact that I live in a very small town in Arkansas and the only (mechanic) is a tire technician at a tire shop. The closest actual mechanic is 30 minutes away and I'm afraid it might not make it there. Oh and my battery is corrosion free so I guess its not that unfortunately, I was told that it could be an idle air control or something like that. You can hear the fuel pump running as well..sorry I'm going on and on I just am so frustrated

145

Oh and thanks for the avatar compliment lol I just saw it

145

a friend of mine just came and checked on the durango and said that it seems like the throttle cable is too loose, he pressed on it a little and it stayed running the whole time he was pressing it. I really hope that is all it is

Yikes, that does create a problem living in the country. And yes it could be the MAF, or Mass Air Flow, and 100 other acronyms for sensors, far too many things to list here and now, too many variables/unknowns. And don't apologize...go on

I hate to throw cold water on that throttle cable thing..but you already knew that if you kept your foot on the petal it ran OK, only when you let off...slowed down.. it died..so holding it by hand under the hood is no different than your foot on the gas....that's what you originally described...sorry

145

oh ok, I didn't realise it was the same thing. I am so out of my knowledge zone here.

Well that's why you're here. But I think you understand how it's the same? It's just giving it throttle under the hood by pushing on the same part that the cable does...and again, sorry to say that...

You truck has what's called an IAC. Idle air Control. . The IAC valve controls the amount of air that enters the engine while the vehicle idles. This prevents the vehicle from stalling. If your Dodge begins to stall frequently, the IAC valve should be cleaned. Do you want a how~to? Or would you or friend, neighbor want to try it? It's kinda shot in the dark but I can explain if you want?

looks like

Best Answer

click the images to see them

145

thanks, I will have it done this weekend. thats the only time anyone has to do anything on it. Thank you so much!

You are very welcome, I sincerely wish you the best

145

I will post on here if I find anything out

Please do!

165

Throttle position sensor is a cheap part and an easy swap.

Right on Michael, true. $20~~$30 tops.. and not difficult to get to.

145

tomorrow they're going to take the entire throttle body apart and clean it and the idle air valve and replace if necessary. I will update as soon as we find out the problem and again thanks!

145

The durango is now running great, it was the idle adjustment screw.

Are you kidding me Nicki? The idle adjustment screw?! That just made my day and the day is barely 1 hour old. That is great. Little/no money spent and you are in business and on the road ..your kids are safe in that Durango, all is well. Thanks for letting us know

145

All it took was taking a drill through the plug covering the screw and tightening it just a little. Didn't cost a dime and now its running like a dream. Thank you again for all of your help!

145

Oh and I almost forgot I did have a code finally show on it but it said the fuel lever sensor A was going out. I found out that its inside the gas tank and cost almost $300, I believe for at least a little while I will just keep track of miles and when I put gas in it.

All good news. All. and yep, simply put gas in every 100, 150 miles and you will be fine. Today is starting out well!

Wow this sounds like what my durango is doin i will try this.!