4x4 problems

Asked by Mar 15, 2012 at 08:41 PM about the 2000 Dodge Durango

i have a 2000 durango all wheel drive that i want to get to go into 2 wheel drive how am i gonna get this done and with what kit or kits do i need to get???????

3,055

I don´tknow any one sho has done this but to begin with you need the NV231 Transfer case instead of NV242 that you have in your,s Then I would imagine that you have to let the computer know what you did at a dealers shop. Hopefully some others that have done this will chime in. I think the most simple thing to do is to trade your Durango for one that already has this. You can see it on the 4x4 knob if it has the NV231 it says 2wd where yours says AWD.

13,585

Just so you both know, when your driving on dry pavement and arent expiriencing any wheel spin, its operating the same as a pickup does in 2wd mode. your not sending power to the front tires. thats done by an electromagnetic clutch when your just in regular 4wd, when the ABS computer senses wheel slip it engages that clutch sending power to the front wheels. Other than that every thing in the front of the vehicle just free wheels.

13,585

Which is why you dont expirience drive line binding when your driving normally, go ahead and put your button into 4lock mode, and drive around, every time you go through a turn youll feel your front end binding up.

3,055

Oh I know that Dan, I have an 2002 AWD and don´t want to go back to the old system I had in my 2000, no way. :o)

13,585

haha i gotcha yeah, doing this is just going to spend a decent amount of money, that doesnt need to be spent to achieve a goal thats already been achieved.

13,585

if your wanting this so you can do burn outs, just pull your front drive shaft out.

60

i pulled out my front drive shaft and my truck wont move now. whats the problem. i have a 2000 dodge durango

3,055

Yeah that wont work on some t- cases that year. if it says part time four wheel drive you cant pull the front drive shaft.

60

where would it say part time four wheel drive?

3,055

If I remember right it came in the dashboard, you can also send an e-mail to Chrysler, give them the vin of your truck and ask for the build sheet, then you have all info on your truck :D

20

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango an the front drive shaft turns all the time in 2wd, i thought that it was the cylinoide switch on the side of the transfer case. I changed that and it still turns. When I put it into 4wd the light on the dash says 4wd part time. My question to you guy's is the front drive shaft supost to turn all the time or not?

3,055

It is supposed to turn all the time since you cant disconnect the front axels like in the old days. Part time means you still drive in the rear wheel drive but if you loose grip the front wheel´s will kick in.

20

Alright I have another question for you, I have a vibration in between 45-55 mph do you know what that could possible be? I checked all of the u-joints in both drive shafts but none of them is loose. When you let off the gas an then go back into the gas then it vibrates, I looked over everthing on it an can't figure out what it could possible be do you have any idea what it is?

3,055

Can you feel the vibration in the brake petal when you brake ? If so you need new brake disc´s and pad´s in the front. Could also be that it is not fireing on all cylenders but then you should have the check engine light on. Could also be a bad tire with a broken wire or a bent rim. Also check the tranny fluid level has it been changed out with the filter and had the band adjustment if it has bands, the electric one don ´t. Culd also be the bearing in the rear dif where the shaft connects. many things to look into good luck.

20

thanks...

20

driveshaft may have been removed and not put back in right spline

Y does my 2001 dodge Durango rear drive shaft spin but wont move and theres no noise in the rear pumpkin

I have a 2001 dodge durango awd and 4x4. i have had it for a year now and it's a awesome vehicle. But I had the same thing happen when I tried to replace my front drive shaft. I was short on money and had to wait on a new one. But if you put it in four high and drive like you have sense. This will get you by for a while. Yes this vehicle is mainly in front wheel drive unless you are slipping. Or engage your four wheel drive.

25

I got a 1999 dodge durango slt with a nv242 transfer case everytime I put it in 4 full time all 4 wheels seems to be locking up,then when I put it back into 2nd it still locks up. I have to go over a speed bump fast before it acts right. Help please

Your front hubs are still locked. After taking it out of 4x4, you will need to back up about 10 feet to unlock the automatic locking hubs. If you want, you can switch out the auto hubs for the manual one's. Then you can get out and make sure the hubs are not locked.

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango replaced a transfer case it doesn’t seem like it’s going into four-wheel-drive how do I check that