my transfer case when shifted in to 2 wheel drive is still in 4 wheel drive

Asked by Dec 15, 2015 at 08:17 AM about the 1953 Jeep CJ3B

The tall lever on my transfer case moves from in and out but in the out position it doesn't go back to 2 wheel drive. The high and low shift lever works fine.
What has to be one to fix this problem.

105,505

A 53 is even too oid for me to remember exactly the setup, but check the linkage first, if this is that style, if it is the direct style then the trouble is inside the transfer case, that old it could be the shift forks or even the gear collars worn out, it is hard to say until you get in there. HTH

Thank-you for your help now I have to find out if I can just pull the Transfer case of the tranie instead of pulling every thing out. Thanks again for your help