1975 Cosworth Chevy Vega

Asked by Sep 22, 2014 at 05:14 PM about the 1975 Chevrolet Vega

I'm looking for a rear main seal and an oil pan gasket for my 1975 Cosworth Chevy Vega.  I am looking for new parts and have not had any luck. Can anyone direct me to where I can order parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Carson

If Summitracing does not have it listed, give them a phone call. Then go on line and put in Vega engine gaskets and seals. See what you find.

The factory seal is a rope seal. Although good, if installed properly (not easy to do), there is a superior replacement available from Cosworth Vega Owners Association (CVOA) - www.cosworthvega.com. It is a neoprene seal (forget its original use). Also there are some suggestions on how to seal the sides of the main cap, other than the "sticks" and RTV sealant. You can find that info on Yahoo (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cosworthvegas) - just do a search of the messages. The pan gaskets (two) are pretty much regular Vega. If you can't find them online or eBay, try contacting someone in the CVOA. Or try the H-body (the body designation of a http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/hbodyfaq-allsections.shtml). Hope that helps.

Forgot to address your question about "looking for new parts." Many parts similar to the Vega can be acquired new, others (especially some unique to the Cosworth) are a crap shoot to find. You need to be specific as to what you are looking for and use the resources I've mentioned above to search for Cosworth parts. Many of the owners have "hoarded" many unique parts, MAY be willing to part with them if it isn't their last one (if you know what I mean). I have two sheds of them, but most are not for sale (see what I mean ).

Have been a part of that group for a while. Good group of Vega enthusiasts.