'74 Vega

Asked by Aug 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM about the 1974 Chevrolet Vega

Have an opportunity to get a Vega that has been sitting in a garage for years, the motor may be shot, body's good, is this worth my time and energy or anybody else's?

265

maybe, i see these cars popping up from time to time with small chevy V-8's in them. i don't believe chevy ever offered that car with a 8 cyl. so i was wondering if at some point this conversion was popular to do, like in the late 1970's. maybe some company produced some all in one conversion kit(less motor), to covert one of these. just thought i'd mention it cuz this one needed a motor. one things for sure that car would be a screamer with a 265 HP V-8 in it. not sure what other components in the driveline may need attention to withstand the power increase.

365

I had a Vega Cogsworth GT back in the late 70s early 80s...it came with a high performance straight 6 cylinder and 4 spd trany. It was a fun car to hung out in...but it was even better to convert...I put a Chevy 350 with a turbo 350 trany out of a vette in it. I got most of the parts i needed from JC Whittney catalogs and then did some custom sheet metal work myself. There are several car clubs for Vegas and those guys are really cool about helping out. I judge custom car shows and i have seen several nice Vegas, one just sold for $32,000 at the last show.

265

hey thanks for the respose. i saw a cosworth on a local car lot about 10 years ago, i think it was, it was black/gold. it sat for quite awhile(years), on the lot. i thought a guy could put a V-8 in one of those. j c wittney, who woulda guessed, i've bought stuff from them back in the 70's, man you could practically build a jeep or VW out of their catalog. $32 grand, wow. see ya'

95

i have a 76 cosworth vega i installed a sb 350 recently it really gave me no problem you just have to alter minor stuff i did nothin to the body nor power train i got the 13s on it but it would launch better with bigger tires