im looking to buy a car and the person im talking to says the timing belt needs to be replased. they took it to the shop and the mechanics said the engine was done. what does that mean?

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 06:31 PM about the 2002 Dodge Stratus

I need to know how much damage a im going to guess broken timing belt can do to the engine.

Hi the engine in the dodge stratus is a zero clearance engine..// meaning when the timing belt jumps a tooth or breaks the crankshaft continues to rotate moving the pistons up in the normal operation...// but the camshaft is now turning out of time or when belt breaks sits stationary with the intake and exhaust valves open which the pistons come up and hits them causing them to bend or even break off and stick in the pistons....// at this point you can disasemble the engine and determine what needs to be replaced or instead of wasting time and money replace the engine with a reman long block (cylinder head and block) or a used engine..// but I have seen it more than once that the belt breaks and locks the cams at TDC and the pistons don't hit the valves and a new belt fixes it ...// but this is like hitting the lottery have a better chance of being struck by lightning...// good luck

Do you have the 2.4, 2.7 or 3.0 engine? Or is this a Stratus coupe with a 2.4 or 3.0 engine? The 2.4 in the sedans will not break if the timing belt breaks. If the coupe 2.4 engine is the 8 valve, it will not break also. This means you only have to replace the timing belt on these engines.

Hi sorry I gave the wrong info the 2.4 is a free wheeling engine but it is still possible for the pistons and valves to hit the 2.7 is not a free wheeling engine and will hit the valves...//here is the info from the shop manual oin both...//The 2.4 Liter (148 cu. in.) in-line four cylinder engine is a double over head camshaft with hydraulic lifters and four valve per cylinder design (2.4 Liter Engine). The engine is free-wheeling; meaning it has provisions for piston-to-valve clearance. However valve-to-valve interference can occur, if camshafts are rotated independently. The cylinders are numbered from front of the engine to the rear. The firing order is 1–3–4–2. The engine identification number is located on the rear of the cylinder block (Engine Identification The 2.7 Liter (167 Cubic Inches) 60 degree V-6 engine is a double overhead camshaft design with hydraulic lifters and four valves per cylinder (2.7 Liter Engine). The engine does not have provisions for a free wheeling valve train. The cylinders are numbered from front to rear, with the right bank odd numbered, and the left bank even numbered (Cylinder Numbering and Firing Order). The firing order is 1–2–3–4–5–6. The engine identification number is located on the rear of the cylinder block just below the left cylinder head (Engine Identification)