4 RPM while going 40mph? 4.5 RPM while going 50 mph? Loud noises while driving. 2002 dodge neon.

Asked by Jul 01, 2014 at 01:35 PM about the 2002 Dodge Neon

What can be the issue? I was driving the other day and I was in a 4 way intersection at
a stop light. When the light turned green, I went pushed on the gas and the car wouldn't
go. My friend was in the passenger seat and said she heard a noise. Then we turned
the car off then back on and it worked. But ever since that day it's been weird.. When I
go 40mph the rpm goes up to 4 when it's usually under 2 rpm. Even if i'm going 20, the
rpm is high. What can this be?

Check your transmission fluid level if it's an automatic, if it's manual you may have a clutch going out. And for the record, the tachometer is in thousands. 2=2000 rpm

1,555

any check engine light?

Yes, there is a check engine light. Someone checked the transmission fluid when I first had the problem and said it was fine.