2.7L camshaft sensor code

10

Asked by Aug 07, 2009 at 10:01 PM about the 2002 Dodge Intrepid

2002 w/2.7L, 82K miles.  First appearance "check engine" light, threw an OBD code for "camshaft position sensor ciruit malfunction".  (That's a "P03xx" generic code)  I assume this means the sensor or wiring is at fault, not the camshaft?  Engine runs perfectly.  Erased the code and it hasn't returned.  Did have the whole car checked out and oil changed a week ago and they could have bumped the connector to that detector.

Or is the camshaft sensor one of those often and chronic 2.7L issues and does it need to be changed?  How would one know?  For $30 a hit, I could afford to change the part that's easy enough to get to.

155

interesting.. did you notice anything else with the car? as i own an 04 intrepid SE with the 2.7 and my cars rev limiter kicks in at 2500RPM!turn it off then on and its fine then it doesnt turn on the next time you go to start.. takes about 5 times and checking the gas cap and such! a pain when it does happen and im afraid of it happening at the wrong time.. such as making a turn onto a highway!

95

i have a 2001 w/ the 2.7L, with about 124k miles. runs fine, no obvious problems. however a month ago my check engine light turned on, took it up to the local mechanic, he said the code that was read wasn't the problem. so he cleared it. about 60 miles later, it turns on again. so we take it to the local dodge dealer to have them take a look. they couldn't find anything wrong either. so they cleared it. but once again the light came back on. so my question is has anybody else experienced anything similar to this?

155

hey.. what code did u get from your car... ask them to check it and list it up here.. might just be O2 sensor ! :D

25

Chrysler had trouble with camshaft sensors early 2000's very common failure. I would check for superseded part number and possible computer "FLASH" bulletins to see if there is an update available. But only of the light comes back on!

55

i recently got a recall paper work it says that the catalytic converter on your vehicle may become damaged from continueed operation in "limo-in" mode following a camshaft postioning sensor fault.

90

I have the same car replaced the cam positioning sensor, but the code is still there and still having same issue cannot accelerate fast or will buckle, cannot go over 70 or it will buckle, why would the cam sensor code still show after I replaced it cleared the codes several times. I had to replace the crank shaft sensor too.

10

i talked to a mechanic and he told me that for some reason a thrown timing chain will cause the camshaft position sensor code to be thrown. That's what i was told, and have a hard time believing it is worth putting the money into given my luck with this vehicle. i have the same issue with my '01 intrepid at 125,000. quote is round about $800. my car will stutter when vehicle gets warm and keeps getting worse. it will also die when come to a full stop and have a hard time idling.