I have a 2001 taurus. I have no acceleration when I give it gas.

10

Asked by Mar 27, 2012 at 01:16 PM about the 2001 Ford Taurus

I have a 2001 Taurus. I have no acceleration when I give it gas. it will only get up to around 20mph with no power behind it. I thought it was the plugs. I have no acceleration when I give it gas. it will only get up to around 20mph with no power behind it. I thought it was the plugs but I just replaced them and nothing.replaced the plugs checked the wires. this happened over night. it was running well the night before then the next day it's like giving it gas does nothing. it just creeps along at no more than 20 tops.

4,015

There are a few things that can cause this. First and most frequent would be a plugged fuel filter. Can't get the gas, can't get the power! Second would be a clogged catalytic converter. Can't get exhaust out after burning gas, can't get new gas in! Third would be a bad fuel pressure regulator. Last and least frequent on one of these would be a slipped timing chain. That would retard the cam and kill the power output. Replace the fuel filter and see if that does the trick. If not, go down the list. Good Luck!

6,965

agree with above, all a possibility try to disconnect exhaust from cat- back. It will be loud as hell but you will figure out real quick if its the catalytic converter or not. Easiest way to tell, or check and see how much flow you have coming out the tail pipe.

10

Thanks Mike and Chris for the quick response. I will go throught this list and see what happens.

40

more then likley its a trans problem. its either the VSS or the clogged torq converter, or failing torq converter if the engine runs smooth in nutural and revs strong the problem is the trans

40

also if you have to press real hard on your brake pedel to get it to shift into gear from park the brake or nutural safty switch is going out

40

think about that list of things to check if it was the cats when the cars in park it wont rev strong it would build presure in park or drive. when the engine runs good in park and lacks power in drive then the problems are trans related duh.

30

Well sir I to have a 2001 Taurus ses and I'm having the same problem no acceleration I have fought this car I've been through the list mentioned above and beyond from back pressure checks to checking the timing marks here's where I am at I just happened to trip over my fuel pressure gauge yesterday and I thought can't hurt tried everything else when testing fuel pressure I had almost 50 pounds when cycling the key once cranked everything looked good revved the engine 4 or 5 hundred rpms not much and fuel pressure dropped about 15 pounds so I tried to do a slow steady rev of the engine and in no time car was bogging fuel pressure just wasn't there so you might wanna find someone with a fuel pressure gauge...and I know somebody is gonna say it there is a new fuel filter on the car and clean fuel I drained the tank and added new fuel while going through hunting process I hope it helps you out good luck I'll post again after new fuel pump

I tested fuel pum its ok I cut off the one cat its got two more but now I have no power y

I have a 01 Ford Taurus runs good in park no problem but when I put it in gear it won't go like there is no power was running good the day before