My 2003 Dodge neon wont stay running

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 10:32 PM about the 2003 Dodge Neon

I have a 2003 Dodge Neon..
i ran out of gas the other day ad ever since then it wont start.. tried fixing it and found out
that the gas isnt either going through the lines or filter.. the gas valve is dripping a little bit
of gas.. when i turn on the key i can hear the fuel pump it starts but automatically dies
like its not getting enough gas.. whats the issue?!?

88,785

Most likely sucked up some crud off the bottom of the tank, you might try changing the filter but I think you are going to wind up dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump and strainer. Never run the tank lower than 1/4 tank as the fuel pump uses the fuel as a coolant, any lower and the pump starts to run hotter than normal.

Thank you

5,560

The fuel pump will shut down when there is enough preasure buit up. Sound like the filter is clogged to me

So if i cleanout my fuel filter the car should run?!?

1,580

change the filter.

290

It may be the fuel pump itself is failing. Just because you can hear it prime doesn't mean it has sufficient pressure to engage the fuel injectors. A good way to check fuel pressure is with a fuel pressure gauge. If one of these isn't available- locate the Schrader valve located at the fuel rail. Use a flathead screwdriver to lightly press the stem in. Doing this should force fuel out. If not then your fuel pump it indeed bad.

355

Try this one. You may have air lock somewhere down the line. You could end up spending mucho $$$ if you start replacing everything. If your car ran ok' prior to runing out of fuel, then it shouldnt' be bigie. I would give a call to local Dodge dealer and simply ask them what is procedure in case you run out of gas. Last thing you want to have dealer to "look" at. Changing fuel filter is maintence issue so you have to do that anyway if you didnt replaced it on scheduled interval. Good Luck .Steva