How can I determine the source of a coolant leak. My 2003; 2.7 liter is slow leaking and dripping from the drivers side by the engine oil pan.

Asked by Nov 17, 2007 at 06:10 PM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid

The coolant leaks out eventually depending on how far the car is driven. I put .5 gal. of water in the last time I filled after a 200 mile trip.

Getting under the car there is a slow leak but it is difficult to determine the source.

Any thoughts, seems like if the water pump was gone it would leak out much faster.

could be a cracked block,head or leaking freeze plug take to mechanic.

42,925

Sounds like a freeze plug to me. In the location you describe, you're at the opposite side of where the water pump would be -- water pump on the Intrepids is on the passenger side, if I recall correctly. It could also be a hose. You'll need to have this checked out further, if you have access to a lift, it would be handy to get under there.

80

I have a 03 Dodge Intrepid with a 2.7Liter engine that has water coming out from an area under the thermostat housing area. To the left side of the lower bolt on the housing there is hole. Does that hole reguire a freeze plug? If it doesn't reguire one then iam sure that the housing mite have a crack.

160

just had some problem with mine check all you hoses first but my water pump was going out and had been for a year or so and when they are going bad the leak there is a liitle hole on the top of the water pump check it i hope this helps you fix it

160

i have the same car and had the same problem dude for a year i could not figure it out were the leak was comming from till a week ago

80

I KNOW THIS ANSWER! It's the water pump. The 2.7L engine has a major design flaw. The water pump is located inside the oil circulation system and runs off the timing chain. When it fails, first it will leak coolant from the weep hole located just below the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing is NOT on top of the engine like most, instead its on the bottom of the engine on the drivers side by the alternator. The cost to replace thermostat is roughly $300, and the cost to replace water pump ranges from $600-$1200. This is because its recommended to replace worn timing components while the engine is open that far. The timing kit runs around $500.

30

How to put water in a 2000 dodge intrepid