OK, I also have a 2003 Dodge Intrepid Interceptor, it has been broken down for a little while with what I was told was a hole in the head gasket. I am debating on if it would be better to sell it or try and get someone to repair it for me. I love this car but its just sitting right now. Hoping for some good advice. There are pictures of it in my garage.

145

Asked by Apr 05, 2013 at 10:47 PM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid

after blowing a radiator hose it wouldn't drive far without over heating, but would sit and idle for ever without
heating. Mechanic in New Mexico couldn't figure the problem out for a week and after replacing several parts that
didn't fix anything but empty my pocket book. I would love to have it fixed and drive it but if nobody can seem to fix it
would it be a bigger hassle than it would be worth or do you guys think it would be fixable for a decent price

102,295

That's a tough one. The car is not that old. The other factor is that no one actually knows how much damage/wear the engine has. You now know that the head gasket needs replacing. Maybe a low mileage used engine would be a better choice.

3,270

Sounds as if the car went through quite a heat. Maybe the tech didn't check for a warped head when the gasket was changed. My guess is a warped head, that can be milled then a new head gasket.

Yep tenspeed is right, that IS a tough call. And mrmooney also has a valid point, except if it is warped too badly it can't be milled, but a reconditioned head is an option. Trouble being the diagnosis ..an accurate one, would be expensive. can't be done by OBD. Then all you have is that diagnosis, money spent and still not fixed. And I just remembered in your other thread we were discussing the other day you mentioned your mechanic charges $45 an hour? That is dirt cheap for a good mechanic.

145

I don't think that I described it accurately, I never got anyone that could change the gasket so it still needs it done. The mechanic that told me it was the gasket told me that it would take 3 weeks and about three thousand dollars to replace the head gasket and I don't believe that was correct. Thanks though for your opinions

It might have to wait three weeks to get to it but it does not take 3 weeks to do a head gasket job. For $3,000 you can get a rebuilt engine. Then if the transmission is OK it is well worth doing in my worthless humble opinion. But it is a kinda cool car and that rebuilt engine will last you years and years.

145

Thanks David, yeah transmission is in perfect shape. Had just had it replaced about a month before it broke down. I found a used motor for $500