2003 Dodge Intrepid shaking

20

Asked by Nov 01, 2010 at 11:07 AM about the 2003 Dodge Intrepid

Okay, I have a 2003 Dodge Intrepid, recently I have been getting a new issue that is really making me nervous because it feels bad enough to be a HUGE expense to fix.

While driving my car, if I hit a small bump or a bumpy road my front begins to shake like my wheel is about to pop off! It feels like I forgot to put all the lug nuts on and the wheel is working its way off the stems.

Obviously thats not the issue (First thing I checked) but the problem still occurs!

Now it happens nearly all the time, morons at Pepboys had no idea what the issue could be, even spoke with a few guys from the local Dodge Dealership and said they dont know.

Anyone had this issue before!? If so what was it and how can I myself check to see if your prob is infact mine!?

Keep in mind im not a mechanic but fairly quick leaner when it comes to saving money lmao

Thanks

Greg

45

never had a dodge but it may be a problem with the steering check the whole steering assembly. if not that it could be a wheel/hub bearing, i would also check the cv axles and suspension but that is very hard to digonose good luck

95

Well, my ideas on the subject are to check your strut mounts top and bottom, make sure no suspension or steering components are floating about rather than being secured. Check tires for unusual wear patterns just in case you have a bad alignment with camber or toe in/out. Best thought is to do these checks with the car on a floor jack or on jack stands. Check the wheels in question by trying to wiggle them by hand and see how much play is in them. You may or may not have a bad tie rod or control arm. I have 2 Intrepids at home and had to replace a few things around a similar subject. Just understand that these cars are getting older and will need some larger pieces replaced eventually around the 7 year 100k mi mark. If you have more miles I would suggest taking it into a Midas (shop) for a full inspection. Worse case scenario they find the problem and the cost of the inspection goes towards the actual fix involved. Plan on a few hundred to take it to a shop, or get the problem spotted and try your hand at replacing the parts yourself. It is Fall and it is getting colder...better to fix it now than get stranded in winter.

6,675

i agree. first thing is check tires for wear patterns. then get the car in the air and see if the wheel has play in it. possibly a bad tie rod or wheel bearing.

i have the same problem as dicussed above anyone find a solution??

I had the same problem on a 2003 intrepid, it was the inner tirod bushings. You can check by popping the hood and look against the fire wall and have someone try to move the tire by hand and see if there is any play. if its the lower tirods, you can turn the tire as much as possible and reach in the wheele well and see if you can move the tirods.

205

this problem can be solved with upper and lower ball joints trust me i had it on my 99 dodge ram

205

jack up the front endjust enough to take a pry bar and stick it under the outer edge of your tire closest to you and rock the tire up and down and side to side and you will see the loose ball joints....can be done at home if you have the know-how and a press

what if you were changing brakes and the jack slipped and all the suddly the car shakes what would you replace then.........text or call 5128202585 I could use the help

10

On mine ,it was the passenger side cv axle

I have the same car and mine did something very similar mine was the tie rod bushings on the rack and pinion side it's a cheap fix for the kit it was 18.99

10

my POS 97 intrepid the shaking was passenger stde tie rod end coming loose