PCM P0601 Smog Check fail issue

10

Asked by Apr 10, 2016 at 07:42 PM about the 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

My Dodge Caravan won't pass smog because of code "P0601 Internal Control
Module Memory Checksum Error". I took it to a mechanic and it was going to
cost more than 1000 for a new PCM from the manufacturer (they said they
couldn't find a used one otherwise). Is the PCM something relatively easy to
replace if I buy and order the part online? I've taken apart laptops and installed
memory/airport cards before, so I'm not horrible with mechanical issues if I
have directions (especially if it's a plug and play sort of setup). Any insight
would be great.

71,345

It is easy to replace, it is a plug in and play as you say, but you have to make sure you have the right one for your vehicle.....P0601 DODGE - Power Control Module Internal Fault... Possible causes - Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) harness is open or shorted - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) cicuit poor electricl connection - Low battery voltage... The P0601 is a common code with Dodge vehicles and the most common problem is the PCM. Erasing the codes may temporary fix the problem.... Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0601 Dodge Description... There is an internal error in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) system.

640

Your best bet is to invest in a Haynes manual for your vehicle. It will tell you step by step how to do it!

10

One more question on this. After I install it, is there any standard distance the car should be driven before I try getting it smogged again? I was told to ask my mechanic, but since I'm not going through one I'm somewhat clueless.

71,345

Yes, you should run from a full take down to 1/4 tank of fuel. During this time the PCM runs a full diagnostic on the engine, and if there are any codes present at this time, then they need to be addressed.

10

Is it normal for the check engine light to still be on during the relearning/diagnostic phase? Installed the PCM which was reprogrammed for the car and all is running ok, but light is still on (still running down that tank of gas).

71,345

No. This is a new PCM (computer)? Your check engine light is on? I would want to know what code it is throwing. The cel should not be on.

10

I thought it seemed weird. It's a used PCM that was reprogrammed and is still giving the same P0601 code. It was just suggested that it might be a bad wiring harness since it's still the same problem that I had with the last PCM.

71,345

Looks like you gonna have to start tracing some wires...