2003 Dodge Grande Caravan

25

Asked by Jan 19, 2008 at 02:58 PM about the 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

I have a 2003 Dodge Grande Caravan.  The problems i'm experiencing is starting the van.  Most times, the van will start and then cut-out, for whatever reason.  I start it again, and it cuts out again.  I do that about half a dozen times, and around the seventh time, it is almost as if the battery is dead, and there is nothing.  I wait about five or ten minutes, then it starts, and keeps on running.  If I let it sit over night, the next day, ill start it, and it keeps on running.  Frustrated Dodge owner!!! Can anybody help me?

*Note* I have had it in for a diagnostic 3 times, and no one seems to be able to pinpoint the problem.  

could be a crank censor going bad throtle position censor or fuel filter needs replacing.

6,995

I had one come in, Almost the same issue, It was the CPU (computer). The customer was peaved with me, intermitent problems are a pain to figure out. I hope Papa's list is the cause, as seeing a new CPU is about $1500. I hope this helps, best of luck.

i replaced the computer and still will not start...can it be the map sensor

10

I have experienced the same problem with my vehicle. '98 dodge caravan. I took it to an electrical shop and drove back home, same problem occured. The mecanic advised me to unplug the battery for a few seconds and to crank it again. It worked. I got it started without the vehicle dying; however, the vehicle continues to do same on occasion. I believe it has to do with some electrical problem.

10

You know; Papa's answer may be correct. I took it to autozone to analyze check engine light and there are codes related to sensors related to Papa's answer.

10

I had to replace my computer on my dodge caravan;found a cheap one at a junk yard for $100, you are right they are costly.

115

check the gauge cluster for loose connections, i know it dosent make scene why that would cause your problem but this is a common problem with grand caravans and i have fixed every one of them by either replacing the cluster or re-soldering the connections

10

I had a similar problem to what is posted. It turned to be my computer.

10

If it has not been run for a while, turn the ignition on and listen for the noise the fuel pump makes as it builds up pressure and then stops. If it does not run at all or never stops running, something is wrong at the pump.