Rear wheel locked

10

Asked by Feb 23, 2016 at 02:14 PM about the 1997 GMC Sierra C/K 1500

My 97 GMC k1500 left rear wheel locked up.
How can I tell if it's my brakes my hub or
gearing.it moves in reverse and lock back up
in drive.

123,895

Have you double checked that e brake is fully released?

Best Answer Mark helpful
123,895

If not the e brake then next thing I would inspect is the brake pads. If they look normal then I would inspect the rubber hose going to the caliper. With tire off ground and locked up remove the rubber hose from the metal line on the fender well. If wheel still locked up then remove the rubber hose from the caliper. If it then spins freely replace the rubber hose. They tend to collapse internally with age causing the type issue you are having.

10

No but about to. Never new what to do. I let my friend use my truck and he pressed the E brakes then he drove off after releasing the E brake knowing that it was still locked. And never stopped to check it out or call me..jus keeped on driving for more then 10 miles. So I'm gonna check it out right now. I let u know what happens. Thanks.

10

My brakes are shoes not pads.

123,895

Oh ok. Probably no rubber hose then. I would remove drum and inspect shoes. Auto adjuster may be to tight or something broke inside.

123,895

Inspect e brake connection on back of wheel. May still be tight for some reason

123,895

Oh. Might try pulling up on e brake pedal while pulling the release. May not have fully released when handle was pulled.

10

I removed the drum and nothing inside broke. Shoes , springs all good . Now I'm gonna check the E brake pedal and check the connection on the back wheel. Let's hope that's the solution. Thanks

123,895

Oh just remembered something that happened to my dads truck. Inspect face of the shoes for brake dust build up. Will be found on bottom half of one shoe and top half of the other shoe. We sanded the hard dust build up off back down to the pad face. (Or you can just replace them). This put his back to operating normally.

10

Found dust. No build up. Released some tension on adjuster and Jack up the other wheel and the wheel spin freely. Thanks for your professional output. It helped a lot cause I was pulling hair these past few dsys.and I don't have very much anymore. Mahalo Brah.

22,275

It's either your brake binding up from weak/missing hardware or a bad bearing in the axle. I'm really leaning towards the brakes

10

How can I tell my breaks are binding up and what can I do

10

I have a 2015 Chevy Colorado that was having a problem with the rear right wheel locking up turns out it was the rear differential and transmission that was messed up.

10

have a 1887 chev 4x4 left wheel would lock up took drums off replaced both sets of shoes .checked diff. nothing broken or worn.put additive in diff. buttoned everything up.everything seams fine now.could the additive have been the problem? poisi traction

I got a 1994 Chevrolet. I put on a wheel cylinder on the driver side rear sometimes when i bag up the rear driver side want to lock up also when i am driving it feels like there is some resistance. Need Help. Thanks