1985 chevy pickup c 20 no leaks anywhere still overheating

Asked by Aug 09, 2015 at 02:17 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet C/K 20

replaced radiator and thermostat, still goes to red on 2minute idle, no leaks anywhere, did pressure test doesnt lose power

David Morris

Oh Lawd! You need a car upgrade, like now!! KA-Pow!! Give up that old junker cause it's blowing serious boners! Get rid of it ASAP!! UGH! Trade this POS car in, Bubba!! Time for a brand new start!! Room-A-Zoom-Zoom, baby!! Summer Sales are still Sizzlin' HOT and you could be stylin' & profilin' in a new ride with fries on the side!! You can do this!

Lmao. Post to the guy above me!. Sounds like a good sellsman or a Joker? My personal experiences I have had with chevy is never use water! Cause it boils at 180° and if you didn't burp the system of create air pockets making the radiator low in fluid as the thermostat opens. Use 50\50 mix and fill it up completely with only antifreeze. Other trouble shooting problems i also know of if there is no leaks from the hoses or radiator, is your engine burning white smoke? That means head gasket it blown. Timing is also another issue too. One degree off from the distributer can cause it to overheat slightly.

John Carson

Is your temp. sensor good or bad? $25 will get you a new sensor and replace it if you have a 1 1/16 deep socket. Located on top left rear of the engine. Two minutes to hot? No way if it started cold. Does the engine sound like it is overheating? Does it feel too hot? If you have a friend with a heat sensing gun, have them hit the engine, hoses, thermostat housing and radiator for readings. To me it sounds like the sensor. Common for vehicles this long in service. Forget the summer sales. A repair bill is less, insurance is less, and registration fees are less. Old trucks are like old blue jeans. May not look pretty, but darn if they don't feel good.