I have a 1984 chevy k20 pickup im having trouble with my brakes when l try bleeding my rear brakes my brake pedal doesn't drop if i do the front the pedal drops any ideas

Asked by May 30, 2015 at 10:29 PM about the 1984 Chevrolet C/K 20

New master cylinder

Sounds like there's a blockage in the line or, if you have front disc brakes, the proportioning valve. On very early GM front disc brake systems (late '60s thru early '70s) the proportioning valve needed to be held open while bleeding. If yours is like that there's a little tang that must be pushed on the proportioning valve while you bleed the system. The order to bleed the system is: right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Also to see if the bleeder screws on the wheel cylinders are blocked with dirt remove them from the wheel cylinder and depress the brake pedal. If you then get fluid the bleeder screw is blocked and should be replaced. HTH. -Jim

I did everything in your post and still not working i took off my brake lines and sucked all the break fluid out with my air bleeder tool there aint no blockage i might have another bad master cylinder it would be the fourth one I've had to exchange( screw orileys ) do you think i should ge another master cylinder

I find it hard to believe that 4 master cylinders could be defective. Are you bench bleeding the master cylinder before putting it on the truck? You should be. If you have power brakes the engine should be off while bleeding. HTH. -Jim

Yeah i got all the air bubbles out of the master cylinder the problem with all the other ones were the seales leaked