3rd gear dying

40

Asked by May 07, 2016 at 02:00 AM about the 1973 Chevrolet C/K 20

I have a 1973 chevy c20 3/4 ton and have a fairly
new 350 block I bought it at a used car dealership
and it's a 3 speed so low 1st 2nd and 3rd it's ok but
when I put it in 3rd and try to give it power and
push the pedal to the floor for fast acceleration not
all the time just everyone now and then but it
begins to hault and almost die like it looses power
all of a sudden but if I do it slowly it speeds up
normal what do I need to look at?

74,765

In 3rd gear the engines rpms would be low, and the motor lugging putting it under strain until rpms are built back up. Sounds like it may need a tune-up, plus check the spark out of the coil to make sure it is white in color, not orange in color, this would indicate a week ignition system, points & condenser, cap & rotor, spark plugs, possible spark plug wires, & coil.

40

I'm still learning about all this so look at my distributor?

40

I'm restoring the whole thing and from what I can see the block is the newest thing distributor is old and a tune up? Idk what you mean im not dumb but do you mean like rebuilding the whole engine? I know how to do it but also the distributor looks like the original it's old I know how to fix it and put and new one in too

74,765

Ok, this will be cool. At this point not sure if the engine would need rebuilding. If you are to check things out to know where you stand with this engine, I can help. If that distributor is original, then chances are it is worn out. You could start by putting a dwell meter on it and see if the dwell holds at 28 to 30°. The cam for opening the points wear out along with the distributor shaft bushings. Before replacing this distributor, if worn out, you may want to consider an HEI distributor for this motor. Major difference in performance. Sounds like the engine basically runs ok, but you should do a compression test to see what you have going on there. I believe compression should be up around 140 lbs. but not below 120 lbs.