I found a .030 over 350 with flat tops in my uncles garage, that had been put together 15 + years ago but never run. Was wondering if I just disassembled and cleaned would it b goo as new?

Asked by Jan 04, 2015 at 03:38 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet C/K 10

010 four bolt main block flat top Pistons looks like it was just assembled and from
machine shop and stored. There is a little bit of surface rust where there wasn't any oil on
it. Looks like maybe some one put some kind of oil on it to prevent rust. Or maybe the
machine shop put some sort of oil or something on it. Idk just want to know what I should
do if I wanted to use this engine. Thanks

74,035

First thing I'd do is remove the spark plugs and squirt about a teaspoon of motor oil in each cylinder through the spark plug holes. Then let it sit for a few days. Next, try to turn the engine over by hand. Don't force it just try and turn it using your hands on the harmonic balancer. If it turns over great! But if it's stuck. Get some Marvel's Mystery oil and put about a cup in each cylinder just like you did with the motor oil. Let it sit for about 2 weeks like that. Then try turning it over by hand again. If it's still stuck you'll need to remove the heads and see what's going on. HTH. - Jim

5,735

Personally I'd take it apart and check everything. As long as you carefully mark where each piece came from (bearings, lifters etc) you can reuse the parts. You might have to re-scuff the cylinder bores to take out rust. Retorque everything. You also have the options to take the heads to someone experienced and have them just clean up the intake and exhaust ports, maybe drop in a mild cam, and dual roller timing chain.... :)