1985 Silverado C10

Asked by Sep 06, 2016 at 01:32 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet C/K 10

I have a 1985 Silverado c10 pickup. An my
rear driver side tire will spin in the air. But
when on the ground an i put it in gear what
move. But the other side moves in the air an
on the ground. Do anybody know what that
could be?

24,925

I wouldn't try anything like this myself and can't imagine why you would either. If the truck has a Limited-slip differential then you have a clutch pack that has failed - if it doesn't have a "Posi-traction" or limited slip differential then it's fine and stop playing with it before you get hurt.

What do you mean?

24,925

A limited slip or "Posi- traction" rear end has clutch packs in it that cause the rear wheels to turn the same direction at all times. An "Open" or regular differential has no clutch packs and may or may not spin in the same direction if it spins at all. Either way - don't mess around with one wheel on the ground and the engine running - Either put it on jack stands or put it on the ground. Safety first.

I have it on some stands. But the wheels on stands they roll in different direction. But once i take it off the stands an put it in gear it only one tire is spinning an the driver rear tire still not moveing some people telling me its the bearings in it an some saying its the axle on that side. But i took the pin out of it an it damage like something scrubbing against it. That what i can't understand what will cause it. The axle or i just need to put another rear end in it