Shifting Issues

Asked by Dec 09, 2014 at 02:13 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet C/K 10

1985 Chevy K-10 is not shifting correctly.  From what I can hear/feel from driving it, it
always seems to be in the next lowest gear from what it should be based off of the
speed of the vehicle.

-Sounds like not enough fuel is getting to the engine.  every ten minutes, it makes that
running-out-of-fuel clunking sound.
-Tries to shift up to the next gear at higher speeds, but then shifts back down almost
immediately after shifting up
-Delayed acceleration.  There is about 3-6 seconds of unchanged activity no matter
how fast I throw the accellerator pedal down.

-If there is some input sensor for determining the speed, maybe this is failing?
-Possible fuel leak?  No puddle forms when sitting still.  The bad gas mileage is most
likely from driving in the lower gears.

I know the basics about vehicles, but this one seems to be one step further from my
current knowledge.  Any ideas will help.  If more detail is needed, let me know.  

...I should also add that the transmission fluid levels seem to be at the right levels. Same can be said for all of the other fluid levels in the vehicle.

I am having a similar problem with my 1985 Chevy step side C10, I replaced the motor about 6 months ago. When driving the truck it feels like the power is just not there when the trans tries to change gears. When I put the truck in neutral the engine seems to rev at a normal sounding level. Sorry I don't have the answer but if someone does know the answer it might help us both.