Can the engine and transmission be removed without removing the transfer case?

Asked by Mar 08, 2013 at 02:20 PM about the 1982 Chevrolet C/K 10

I am replacing the motor and servicing the transmission. Do I have to remove the transfer case as well?

what is the problem with removing the transfer case?, It is the weak sister between two heavyweights---engine and tranny!

Best Answer

Thank for the response. There is no problem with removing it. I am enquiring if it is necessary. This is a one man project and I didnot have to I dont want to. If it helps with the overall operation ten I will do It.

98,005

I can see not removing it if you don't have to. Can you service the tranny with it in place?

I understand, but you simply cannot do an engine removal, or transmission removal yourself, have tried it myself and balanced the unit on my ribcage...most unfortunate.

1,125

if your going to service the transmission, why not just pull the transfer case out as well and service it? if i were working on it id pull it to service it along with the tranny, just to be safe and have it done.

Bob- I hear ya man it has been a job by myself for sure. 10-4 Agreed. I think I will take it ou if nothing else clean it up and replace the seals. The case will come out alone correct? My concern is because of its size and off center weight, it is going to twist. Maybe I can ratchet strap it. Thanks. gents

good point --a car service lift and transmission jack is the only/right way to do this.

I was a 245 pounder and still had to push every ounce of strength...could hardly imagine your average Joe handling it single handedly, like I was saying with proper equipment, one doesn't have to suffer---cheerio:)