79 C10 hard to start

Asked by Aug 04, 2015 at 09:09 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet C/K 10

its gotten to the point were i had to pour a bit of fuel in the carb to get it start it. if it sits for a day i would have to do the same thing again, so i changed the mechanical fuel pump, primed it and it started with no problem, but one thing i noticed was very little fuel in the filter bowl, but the truck ran great., it sat for one day and when i went to started same as before spark good starter but no fuel in the bowl.

61,345

Sounds like the carburetor is leaking internally. Time for a rebuild. Whatever you do, DON'T buy a rebuilt one from an auto parts store and turn the old one in for the core charge! I speak from experience. Take the old one to a rebuilder or rebuild it yourself, if you're able. The model number on the carburetor is for your specific year, model, engine, transmission, and emission controls that your truck is equipped with. Anyhow, I'm assuming that this is a Rochester carburetor. It's common for them to leak down when they need rebuilding. Be sure to replace or install bushings where the throttle shaft goes through the carburetor as well. The holes wear and cause vacuum leaks over time. HTH. -Jim

17,660

Clean carburetor with carburetor cleaner spray use the whole can and add carburetor cleaner to the gas tank.