Why does the starter fuse continually blow?

Asked by Jan 10, 2013 at 04:12 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet C/K 10

fuses keep blowing on the starter - seriously, I have replaced about 20

99,175

A fuse blows because too many amps are being drawn. Find and solve the problem. What fuse do you mean?

3,005

does it blown right away or when u start it? depending on what ur answer is will clue us in to what is causing it

3,005

couple more questions for you.......... what location in the fuse box is the fuse that will blow? and does it actually crank over or do nothing and blow the fuse?

960

Most starter circuits do not go through the fuse box (at least on early model vehicles) If you are blowing a fusible link then I would replace the starter motor. It may have a shorted winding or a loose wire short that shows up when it is turning. If it is actually a fuse in the fuse-box then your starting circuit may include a relay (usually under the hood) that feeds power to the starter solenoid. If the relay is fused and blowing this fuse then the problem is in the relay. Find it and replace it. Since this question is in the early model C/K 10 category, and early model C/K 10s did not use starter relays, if this is the problem then it was added by a previous owner.

It won't start. When I turn the ignition it blows

69,705

A bad starter or a dead short somewhere.