Dodge neon problems that ten different mechanics have not been able to figure out yet, help!

Asked by Mar 05, 2015 at 02:21 AM about the 2004 Dodge Neon

I bought this car maybe close to a month ago running great except when in reverse it
vibrated a bit I drove it for a good week before the vibrating was worse and not just in
reverse in idle as well I finally took it in and was told it needed new motor mounts on
passenger side. I then replaced both upper and lower and when I proceeded to drive it
out of the shop the vibrating was unbearable worse! I was frightened to drive it the
mechanic seemed like a flake nor did he seem like he new anything about the job he was
given. So I took it to a few other shops getting quotes and so on some told me I needed
to replace other mount some said it was harmonized some said it was something
completely different I had my harmonized replaced then after a good 800$ dollars later I
had the other front motor mount replaced. When I took it out of the shop it seemed a lot
better tho it was still having a ruff idle sounding kind of like the motor was working really
hard then not so hard as well as a minor vibration. Spending well over 1000 now I
continued to drive it throughout the day on my way home thevery night I slowed down for
a curb and when I went to accelerate it made a strange noise the check engine light
came on and I lost complete control of my car yet I still ha d minimum control of steering
my brake wouldn't work and I was revving really fast then almost stalling then revving
really fast and so on. A sputtering almost with no control of it   I turned my car off and let
it sit when I went to turn it on again the rpm went right up as if I was flooring it but was
not. Some body please help me. Is there something I can do that will help my argument
with mechanics who have completely destroyed my car!

Harmonizer sorry ...spellcheck

40,685

Harmonizer = Harmonic Balancer??

223,495

Is the CEL still on, you can have the car scanned. Since you replaced the mounts and balancer already, I'd say your shaking is due to a bad idle caused by a misfire or vacuum leak. Also could be a transmission issue. Dodge neons aren't the most reliable cars on the road these days.

1,585

The tube between the throttle body and intake manifold may be torn, that would explain the high idle and loss of vacuum assist on the brakes.