turnsignals do not work but road hazard signals do--what do i do?

Asked by Dec 11, 2013 at 07:27 PM about the 1978 Chevrolet C/K 10

check your fuses first, flashers could be independent of turn signals

185

Hopefully its something simple like a loose wire or bad fuse. But mine had a bad switch in the steering column. Also make sure you have the key on when testing it, I cost myself a lot of time by forgetting to turn on the key and thinking they still weren't working (different car similar problem).

185

And check the flasher itself, there should be one for signals and one for hazards. If you're not familiar with them, they are little (about an inch or so) modules by the fuses with 3 prongs in the back. Mine were round and silver, but they may vary.

840

The direction, hazard, and break lights are all the same filament within the two filament bulb. If your emergency flasher and break lights work then the wiring to the bulb and the bulb itself are OK. It depends on the year but from about '78 to '88 the turn signal flasher and the emergency flasher are two separate flashers at the fuse box. The one located at the lower right corner is for turn signals and the one on the top left corner is the emergency flasher. Don't replace this with the standard generic flasher you can find on the shelf. Go to the parts guy in your favorite parts house and let him get the one you need for your year Chevy c10s from their stock shelves. this will most likely solve the problem.

45

I have a 1973 Plymouth Valiant and the hazards would work but not the turn signals. I have already replaced the flasher fuse and the turn signal switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.