1977 Chevy Silverado stopped running and wont start

Asked by Jan 21, 2016 at 10:48 PM about the 1977 Chevrolet C/K 10

Someone asked a similar question about their c-10 and the answers were
very helpful, I just thought it would be useful to ask it again since my repairs
my 1997 has is a little different.

Basically what happened was at first it would run a little, then stop. Then
we'd start it and it would run for a little and then stop. This would happen a
bit but it started to run relatively smooth for a bit so we kept driving it further
and it was doing well until it stopped and would not start again after that.

It has a new starter (slightly under a year old), new battery (slightly under a
year), new carburetor (couple months old).

It was running relatively well but we had to get it smogged so we took it to
the shop. Since we're in California and it is an old truck it took several
months for the shop we took it to to get it pass smog. Someone we talked
to (the person who towed us when it broke down and wouldn't start LOL)
said that sometimes in order to get the old automobiles to pass smog the
shop will alter things a bit that can mess with the autos ability to run.

I am pretty new into auto mechanics, I have been interested in cars for a
few years where I read some books and I've done one semester of
Autoshop 2 at my highschool and am currently interning at a shop.
I believe it is a C/K 10 however I am not sure. I can find out and give an
update if it is necessary!
Thanks in advance!

93,135

Yeah they usually lean the carb way out by turning the air screws on the base until it passes smog or adding metered air leaks in the vacuum lines to lean it out even more, I have even seen them add air injection systems to the exhaust to get the readings even lower, so I don't know what did but the carb would be a place to start.

60,945

Your truck is one year over the cut off for smog checks in the land of fruits and nuts - bummer.

66,205

I'm a little confused. Is this a '97 model or a '77 model? Anyhow, your truck has to pass the emissions specifications for the model year that it was made. So, assuming that it's a '77 your truck has to pass California Emissions standards applicable for the 1977 model year. I'm told California is like New Jersey (where I'm at) in that all emissions equipment must be hooked up and operating. I'm hoping you didn't turn in the old carburetor for the core charge. Often vehicles originally delivered to California used a different carburetor than ones with Federal Emissions. Look at the emissions decal under the hood if it's still there and see if it says "this vehicle conforms to California Emissions standards for 1977 new models". If so, your truck was originally delivered to California. I'd definitely start with the carburetor. Make sure it has the correct model number stamped on it for your truck and the emissions equipment it's supposed to have. Either Federal or California. I'd also recommend getting a reprint of the factory shop manual. Try Faxon Auto Literature in Riverside (California). What was the problem with the emissions? Hydrocarbons, CO2? HTH. -Jim