How do you check to see if a clutch fan it's functioning properly?

10

Asked by Aug 25, 2014 at 11:20 AM about the 1989 Chevrolet C/K 3500

I've rodded the radiator, changed the
thermostat and verified the water pump is
working. All I can figure is maybe the clutch
fan needs replaced but when I kill the motor
the fan stops spinning immediately. What
else could it be? Also no water in the oil so I
don't think it's a head gasket.

62,955

With the engine off, grab the fan blades and try moving it side to side. If there's play the clutch is bad. However by what you described it sounds like the clutch is locked up. The purpose of a fan clutch is to actually limit the fan rotation. If you can hear it roar, especially when accelerating, it's locked up. With the engine off and cool it should spin with a little resistance. HTH. -Jim

10

It does spin with little resistance. It doesn't run like it's hot. I'm going to replace the temp sensor and see if I'm getting a false reading

228,075

If you try to spin the fan, it should not rotate more than 180 degrees or make any sound.

62,955

Sounds like the clutch is ok. Did you upgrade the radiator when you did the motor work? That could be it. HTH. -Jim

First I ever and 0r seen an electrically operated fan clutch. I purchased a 2004 trailblazer . Bought it at a fair fair fair price and it had lack of power. Sounded like an Cessna 150 with props feathered out. I change the serpentine belt and corrected the problem. My method of mechanics is the process of elimination.

First I ever and 0r seen an electrically operated fan clutch. I purchased a 2004 trailblazer . Bought it at a fair fair fair price and it had lack of power. Sounded like an Cessna 150 with props feathered out. I change the serpentine belt and corrected the problem. My method of mechanics is the process of elimination. L f