The spindle that turns the starter doenst catch what does it sound like when its trying catch? On 2004 dodge intrepid please

Dwayne Burns

Asked by Apr 15, 2013 at 09:03 PM about the 2004 Dodge Intrepid

what is someone trying to start it while it's already running....this is bad can chip teeth on both the pinion and sounds like a terrrrrrible screeeeetch~

probably can get a junkyard ring gear in good shape from a local salvager~ rebuilt starters are okay....sometimes~

Bradley Shelledy

I don't understand your question, are you not able to get your car to start?

Bad starter or under voltage solenoid not enough juice to make it to the start contacts from the OLD battery and unable to accept a recharge battery....what should have been replaced sooner than 7 years ago~....also check the ground to chassis connection and to the motor too all must be free of corrosion~

Bradley Shelledy

Hey Roy, what's your take on batteries in deserts? Change 7 years or would you probly suggest more often like 3 or 4 years because of the heat?

actually not sure, but think that heat would make it fade you know already the tin/antimony alloy degrades ten percent per year...that is to say will not accept a charge as easily ten percent per year, so in ten years will have a battery that will NOT take a charge...the high desert would quicken this degradation one would think just as "that Mastadon meat" is just as fresh as the day he fell a below zero environment ~