1988 chevy truck 5.7 starts and runs a while then dies and sometimes will start up and sometimes it wont stgart right back up

Asked by Feb 03, 2016 at 08:48 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet C/K 1500

I have a 1988 Chevy truck 5.7 just recently it just shut off while I was driving it. it would start right back up and idle a few seconds and die again and this would go on for awhile. then sometimes it would start right up and idle for 20 or more minutes and then when you put it in gear it would die. then sometimes it would start up and die and then not start back up. let it sit for a hour or so it would start right up and run for awhile. put a new coil in it. new disturber, new pick up coil new cap new rotor new ing modular  fires right up runs smooth and idles good then go to drive it you can drive it maybe 2 to 4 miles or even let it idle 45 minutes then it starts all over again

Since you already changed all the trouble areas for spark try checking the fuel. When it acts up check the injector spray pattern, it should be a crisp cone. With the TBI injection system you will have an in tank pump with suction screen. The fuel then hits the filter under the drivers side of the cab in the frame rail. From there it hit's the fuel regulator in the throttle body. What doesn't get injected by-passes through the smaller line back to the tank. Since it is an older truck I would start with the filter (make sure you get and use line wrenches so you don't round the tube nuts off). Quick and dirty pump test is to use a large clear hose on the line from the tank to a clean pail and hit the key. If the pump is good and the filter is clean check the regulator. It comes apart easy just remember how it goes back together, any issues should be apparent.

If you check the fuel pressure with a gauge, it should be 9 to 13lbs. And I agree with yetilikesbeer. If it comes down to the regulator they do make a rebuild kit for it. The spring in there goes weak.