How long should my oil dip stickbe?sounds stupid but im showing that ive got over double what i should have?

Asked by Oct 11, 2014 at 01:50 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet C/K 1500

Possibility of wrong oil pan to dipstick
combo? Or wrong dipstick mine mesures
24 inches

34,575

Who did and when was the last oil change? How long have you owned the vehicle?

Best Answer

Ive had the truck 2 weeks and i honestly dont kno when the last oil change was or who did it . Thats my project tomorrow im thinkin mayb go to a parts store tell em i need one mesure it. And compare to mine

Alright folks can i just get a mesurement i kno somebody out there has the same truck as me

It's not stupid shorty, a perfectly legitimate question. Too much oil is just as bad as too little, if it's way over- full and the crankshaft dips in to oil in pan it whips it like a blender, causing no oil pressure What engine do you have?

http://www.carid.com/spectre/engine-oil-dipstick-with-tube.html

Its a 350 and the no oil pressure comments adds up to be cause like u said i have none

I can't find the oil capacity specs for your 350, there are too many answers on different web-sites. It seems there are several different oil pans can be on your CK 350-- so better not try to guess. It ranges from 5 to 10 quarts and everywhere in between. That may be the problem, somebody changed pans, either took off or put on a high-capacity pan and didn't change the dipstick. Was going to suggest drain it and add to specs, but therein lies the problem.. what is the spec? Somehow you are going to have to determine what pan you have, hopefully somebody that knows how to do that will come along. Sorry I am no more help than that. Frustrating,(for both of us I'm sure)