the horn blows, the headlights turn on but the truck wont start

Asked by Oct 26, 2013 at 03:09 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet C/K 1500

the truck wont start wont even turn over but the horn keeps blowing and the headlights turn on.  starter is very strong, had it tested, battery is new, no alternator problems

101,375

Tighten and clean all battery connections. Also tighten and clean the negative connection on the frame and motor. Is it an automatic or standard shift?

11,305

You say the starter is strong. Does that mean it turns over or it is powerful? If the starter does not turn over, start there. Check and make sure you have a connection to the starter when the key is turned to the starting position. If the starter turns, is there spark to the plugs? Is the timing set for proper ignition at the plugs? Do you have gas flow? FI or carb motor? Plugged jets in the carb or float bad. Not enough pressure to the injectors? A low battery will honk the horn and light the lights but not turn over the starter as it takes a heck of a lot more current to engage and turn the motor over. Make sure you have a full charge or try a jump start.