new timing chain put in and still making ticking noise

Asked by Jul 12, 2016 at 01:59 AM about the 2001 Ford Mustang

Just installed new timing chain, rods and lifters. Car
still makes ticking noise. Need feedback on what to
do I'm at a standstill

24,345

Does it tick at engine RPM or half-RPM? Under load (accelerating) or decelerating? At idle? Top end or bottom end?

Best Answer

When under load and at idle when in park. Ticking sounds like at the top driver side.

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated. Thanx

18,530

Change oil or if you have already add some Lucas Engine Oil Stablizer to oil and let idle until ticking or tapping goes away. Do not over fill.

18,530

Also ment to say it may or may not work for you but when I had a ticking and tapping noise it worked with in 45 minutes to an hour of idling before the ticking and tapping went away.

24,345

You can pull a plug wire for each cylinder in turn, on that side of the engine, run the engine and see if the ticking goes away. Pulling the plug wire prevents detonation in that piston chamber and removes the pressure on that cylinders piston and connecting rod, so if the ticking stops - then you can assume the tick came from one of those sources. (a wrist pin is really hard to determine as top end or bottom just by listening). If it remains consistent, its in the valve train. A compression test will also give you a good idea too, if one cylinder is low, it may have a valve issue (valve lash, springs, or even a bent valve) can all be a source for ticks. Also, ticks can be at engine RPM, for parts connecting to the crank, or HALF engine RPM (camshaft speed) for the valvetrain.