I have so many questions!! Plz halp!

Asked by May 27, 2014 at 01:21 AM about the 2001 Ford Mustang

1) how much would insurance be? I'm 20 in
college, male, no driving record so no crashes or
anything. I wanted to get it under my parents who
have 2 cars(Honda and a Toyota, Idk if that halps)
they have geico. I think my brother is with them
too, He has a Toyota too. I heard insurance is
lower if more cars are on there
2) is it a good first car? A friend of a friend is
selling it but I've never met the guy so I'm going
solely on my friends word. It looks in perfect
condition, how much would it cost? He said 2000
3) should I take it to a mechanic to check it before
I buy?
4) is it fuel efficient? I'll mostly only use it to drive
to work. The specs say it only gets 17mpg so I'm
worried about that :(
5) I heard it has trouble in rain? Is that true?
Something about spinning which doesn't sound
6) lastly, I don't know anything about cars and I
would really appreciate any information you have
about maintenance and oil changes. Like how
often do you change it and what kind to use. Also
what gas do I use at the gas station?
Thank you so much for any advice you can spare.
Sorry for being so clueless :'(

#1 - Insurance quote? Go on line or have your parents call to find out. Mustang? Get a good job to feed the Gecko. #2 and #3 - Perfect condition? I sincerely doubt it - especially out of a 13 year-old car. ABSOLUTELY spend the $100 and have a Professional Mechanic check it out BEFORE you buy it. (Know how to tell that a car salesman is lying? His lips move.) #4 - 17 mpg is not fuel efficient. 30mpg is fuel efficient. #5 - Spinning out in the rain is because either the driver has a heavy foot and likes to squeal the tires or the tires are crap. Basically, the Mustang is a coupe to "enjoy" not a serious, every-day driver. #6 - as with any automobile, you should obtain and read the most published - least read book in America - The Owner's Manual. Regular pump gas - not Premium, Oil changes every 5000 to 7500 miles (3000 mile oil changes are a waste of money unless you're a Cop or drive a taxi.) Seriously, I'm 52, have been an ASE Master Tech since 1987 and a Ford Master Tech since 1999. I currently work on a fleet of over 800 Crown Victoria Police Interceptors (and love it!). My daily driver is a 2003 Mazda Protege. 4 cylinder, 30 mpg, 5-speed and a kick-ass Stereo system. Lots of Zooom-Zooom! Cheap and easy to maintain. Lots of fun. I suggest that you start small and learn to keep up and enjoy a car (instead of feeding the Insurance guy and the Gas pump) - then work up to a race-car! Or a little sleeper like mine - it'll run all day at 110 mph and never complain. And no one wants to steal it.

Anyone who is an expert was once a beginner, just like you. Insurance will be high if you do it on your own. Depending on where you live the price will vary. Getting on your parent's policy is the way to go. Much cheaper. A Ford Mustang is a good car, generally speaking. BUT it IS a sports car. So yes have a mechanic look it over for you. If it's been adult owned all it's life that's a big plus. Sports cars tend to get beat up by young drivers (no offence to you). Run a vehicle history report such as carfax or autocheck. Look for accidents and multiple owners. That's two red flags!! A young man at work recently bought an '04 Mustang GT Convertible. He reports 20 MPG around town and 25 MPG on the highway. Oil changes should be done at every 3 months or 3,000 miles. Whichever comes first. You'll want to do chassis lubes with your oil changes. Tune ups are every 100,000 miles. Tire rotations every 6 months or 6,000 miles. Whichever comes first. Alignments once per year or 12,000 miles. Whichever comes first. Unless your owner's manual says differently, you can use unleaded regular gasoline. Buy name brand and try to stick to the same brand. Good luck on your first car!! HTH. -Jim

3000 mile oil changes are a waste of money! PERIOD!

Ok, I think I've given up on the mustang now. I did some math and I'm gonna drive about 400 miles a month. With that said, will gas be an issue?

That's your opinion, Tracy, and you're entitled to it. -Jim

Nope, gas shouldn't be an issue. That's about 100 miles per week. At 20 MPG that works out to about 5 gallons per week or about 20 gallons per month. HTH. -Jim

No. It's a fact. A bonafide, tried, true and researched fact. The ONLY time 3000 mile oil changes are recommended for a passenger car is for severe service. Feel free to waste your own money throwing out good engine oil but stop recommending others to do it. Unless you're an oil salesman.

I'm sorry we disagree on this Tracy. But the fact is I drove my last car for 19 years and never had an engine problem. It never failed emissions inspection and basically began falling apart around the powertrain. The kid whom I sold the car to is still driving it. The car is a '93 Caprice with the V8 305. Oil changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles at the Chevy Dealer. On the other hand my Father subscribed to your way of thinking. He never had a car see it's 10th birthday and only one car he owned reached the 100,000 mile mark. It was always an engine failure that doomed his cars to the junkyard. Burned valves, rod knocks, worn out camshaft, etc. These are the real life facts that I've seen first hand. So I stand by my recommendations for oil change intervals! -Jim