Broke timing belt

Asked by May 17, 2017 at 06:47 PM about the 2005 Dodge Stratus

What about an 05 Dodge Stratus? Is the engine
junk when the timing belt goes?

125,565

That all depends on how fast it was turning when it let loose, usually for sure you bent at least one valve, other damages might include broken valve wedging itself in a piston causing it to break scouring the block pieces flying around damaging the combustion chamber in the head or even cracking the head itself. In all my years I have only seen one interference engine that broke a timing belt and didn't damage itself, it was at idle and the fella had just turned the key off when it went, could not verify but I think it may have went backwards slightly during shut down and that was the only thing that saved it. So if you want to find out for sure you can either rent a bore scope and look inside each cylinder looking for bent or broken valves or put a new timing belt on it and see if the engine has any compression. I wish you the best of luck.

33,935

good answer...you can remove the valve covers..put a socket on the balancer and turn the engine after you change the belt..and watch for full travel of the springs/valves.

Thanks that helps. I could have more to fix than a broken timing belt. All I know is they were driving it when it went, I am buying the car n needed to know if it is worth fixing, cause the rest of the car is in good shape.

90,465

Probably not worth fixing this engine because of the damage caused like tennisshoes says. More than likely it is a interference engine meaning the valves would hit the pistons...2.4L DOHC Non-Interference (Valves may hit if camshafts turn out of time) • 2.4L SOHC Interference, 2.7L Interference • 3.0L SOHC 12 Valve Engine Non-Interference • 3.0L DOHC Interference • 3.0L SOHC 24 Valve Engine Interference

25,615

Skip the unknown unless your a heck of a mechanic, or just replace engine if you have a lead on one same year & model for fair price. Look at it like this if it broke at idle they would of fixed it themselves or took to a shop otherwise they may have broke it 5000 rpm's and time to walk away and sell it and to get the best price for it they act dumb saying "I do not know".