Will 1963 doors fit a 1962 body

10

Asked by Jan 17, 2016 at 07:29 PM about the 1962 Austin-Healey 3000

I have a 1962 bt7. Mine does not have roll up windows, I understand the 1963's do have roll up windows. Does anyone know if '63 doors will fit a' 62 exactly?  

Thanks, Gary

65,425

The doors should fit but be aware that there probably was a certain amount of hand fitting at the factory so "exact" they may not be. I would recommend comparing them before buying if possible. Your car will be more valuable with the original doors however so keep them.

65,425

Doors from the BN4, BN6 BN7 and BT7 should be interchangeable. http://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/austin-healey/austin- healey-bn1-to-bj8-1952-1968/body-panels-and-chassis-parts/doors- sills-and-wings.html

Best Answer
10

Thank you very much for your answers. Much appreciated!

22,425

I had a '61 when I graduated from high school- the side curtains were the coolest- it is just SACRILEGE to change that car over just so you can roll windows up- besides ruining the value of the car (and they are quite valuable) it just makes it less of a true sports car- that car should be in the hands of someone who LOVES driving through the rain with the top down-

10

jamnblues, I agree! I intend to keep original doors to easily restore to original if desired. The concern I have is that we take the car on a lot of 3-4 day weekend trips. I am afraid of getting caught in the rain an hour (or more) away from shelter. If the carpet and padding gets wet from rain pouring in those loose fitting bolt on side curtains, I would have a hard time getting it dried out again. I do not want the floors to rust through.

22,425

nice- I see you are on board with cool sports cars- however, look at the line at the top of the door- the line that follows the body tub around the top will not match up- and why I prefer the older 3000s- that pretty little trim around the passenger compartment just got messed up when they put the windows in- and as far as your concerns about water entering- I doubt that the top fits much better around the roll up windows- these are sports cars back when that term meant something- made for sport- maybe what you want is a GT- and it would be surprising if the Healey made a 3 or 4 day trip without busting a wire through those tube-type tires- pretty car tho- and I reiterate: drive the car like it was meant to be driven- it is not an investment- life is short- I am so glad I drove with the top down through the rain and cold in mine in the late 60s- and street- raced it through the oil fields outside Beaumont- it was the equal of my friend's Datsun 2000- a legendary time and a legendary car- and maybe the most beautiful sports car of all time- I was King of the Road lol