ABS, Traction control On & Traction Control OFF lights staying ON!!!!!!

Asked by Nov 19, 2014 at 03:08 AM about the 1998 Mazda Capella

Had intermittant issues with ABS: traction control On & traction Control OFF lights
coming on, I used to be able to get rid of them for a few weeks by unplugging the ABS
control unit and then plugging back in, but now the lights stay on perminantly when the
car is running which does not allow the car to pass a warrant of fitness.
I took the car to the local Mazda Garage and they spent 2 days checking what I had
found out and then saying the car needs a new or 2nd hand ABS control unit. ($500
down the drain) I have since tried 2 different ABS control units on the car and still the
lights stay on, I have road tested the car and the ABS does not operate on wet grass
nor does the traction control work.
There must be someone out there that has had this problem????
Looking forward to any suggestions.

Mark Grignon

Inspect the wheel speed sensors. The wheel speed sensors provide feedback to the ECU to operate ABS and Traction control functions. There should be a sensor mounted on the hub of each wheel. Inspect cables and sensors for broken, frayed wiring, gummed up sensors, etc..

Cheers Mark The Mazda Garage said they tested them and all the resistances were within spec! The original error code within the onboard diagnostics did say left rear senso, but dont get any errors now when checked. Tyhanks again Mark, I will maybe get a 2nd hand sensor from the wreckers and swop out to check. Paul