After replacing both heads,gaskets etc. On my dodge. Is there still a chance the motor is no good.? He's not getting oil preasure.? & says oil pump is fine. What do we check now?

10

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 07:49 AM about the 2005 Dodge Dakota

I have a 2005 dodge Dakota crew
cab 4.7 L V-8 magnum. The truck
had originally run hot before he
started working on it. I'm a mess
over this & I've spent a lot of $$$$

44,405

Is the oil pump pickup screen blocked? Are you using a mechanical gauge to test the oil pressure rather that the gauge on the dash? Is the oil pressure sender clogged , defective or plugged in?

44,405

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3klch-2003-dodge-ram-pu-4-7-105-000- miles-oil-pressure-dropped.html

Best Answer
10

I'm not sure if he has checked any of this..? I'm just a single mom & I've spent a few thousand on trying to get it up & running & all I'm getting is nothing but being told it's now this or now that. I'm just wondering if I've spent all this $ & now he will say I need a new motor? :/

44,405

If the engine is making noises like it has no oil pressure that is probably bad news, but if it seems to be sounding okay when running then it is a good possibility that it is something simple as an oil pressure sender. I wish you best of luck with it.

10

He says it sounds really loud when it's running.? :/ he says the oil filter was clogged & he hopes that's what the problem is.? & he says the gauge light is still on inside the truck

8,030

What is his reading for a hand held technicians oil pressure gauge, a mechanical gauge. when you know that number, you can compare it to the specs. it would read one number at idle, then have a specific pressure at a certain RPM. Get those answers. because it seems one way, but it could clear up. Any time it ran without pressure destroys it. having erroneous readings is not the same as having no oil pressure. Making the gauge on the dash say what you want when you want has always been a problem with vehicles. Having an oil fed tube to a mechanical gauge went out of use in the 70's and other types of "indicators" have taken their place. It takes a well trained ear to listen to an engine, but describing the sound its making can help, go thru what you hear from start, to running, to warm and tell what you think it sounds like, then we can decide if there are any issues to look into. since you cannot hear it over cargurus, please.

8,030

Now , of course, if a test gauge reads below spec, shut it off and leave it off......if the sender needs replaced that could affect things, if the passage in the engine does not allow the oil to reach the sender, thats sludged or blocked somehow? you can get a test gauge from the parts store, some tools are available to rent or loaned to customers. That is where you're at. we wont know till you know.

8,030

to check for blockage, you could remove everything from the oil test hole and crank the engine with ignition disabled, a little at a time till oil comes out into a pan. you could use the supply hose for the hand held gauge as a way to observe and have a helper crank, and have a pan for catching the output. after it is clear, reattach the hand held gauge, restore connections, and run it. take a reading. listen to it, report, please. simple, inexpensive, wont ruffle feathers. just the facts ma'am

10

Ty Ty Ty so very much. I appreciate all your input in this matter. & I really do hope I get my truck back & running good. Soon.! It's been 2 years.!

44,405

If the oil filter was plugged it must have some serious sludge in the engine, but oil filters have bypass valves for when the filter media gets clogged. If there is enough sludge to completely stop the flow from the filter then I would suspect the crankcase is exceptionally dirty and the oil pick-up screen is clogged. This seems to be a fairly common issue when these engines aren't properly serviced.

10

Ty sir. I'm keeping all this in consideration & will be talking w/him this evening. Thanks again & have a blessed day

8,030

In the event of sludge and baked sludge, thats right about A pump screen. If the pan has to be pulled, and the pump dropped in chassis, you can clean the screen like that, but if bearings were compromised, it's easier to slip a set of bearings in with it on a stand. we have no straight answers or data at this point. i am still back at how much pressure does a test gauge read, and what does it sound like?