06 stratus died while driving HELP

Asked by Dec 21, 2013 at 04:54 AM about the 2006 Dodge Stratus

Battery light had been flashing on
and off for 2 weeks. Today car died
comepletey and locked up. Wouldnt
start when I tried. Then jumped it, it
started but dies within a minute or
two. Any suggestions im not good
with cars and cannot be battery cuz it
dies after I jump it. Alternator or
something else?

Fully charge your battery. Tighten and clean all battery connections. Then test alternator. It should be putting out around 14 volts. If it's not then its probably bad and needs to be replaced.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2006/Dodge/Stratus/Alternators/31- 00573.html?gclid=CIX9goCmwbsCFahDMgodj2oAQQ

Best Answer

recharge your battery...tin/antimony batteries (no lead) stop accepting a charge ten percent per year....five years and it gets harder to accept a charge and will COOK the alternator...so get a NEW battery if this is the case~

Battery is only 3-4 yrs old.

Also when it dies it appears as if its running out of gas about 4-5 putts and then shuts off. I dont know much but it does not seem to be battery or alternator (still possible)

Might not be battery or alternator. But having to jump start it leads me to think that it is. Without proper voltage your car will not run. Have you tested battery and alternator for proper voltage? Dirty or faulty battery connections can do this too.

as dandyoun suggests....the MAIN ground is critical....black cable goin' to the chassis/ground wirebrush 'till shiny lug and chassis....also the 1/0 cable that goes to the motor block....the chassis will NEED the 12.5 volts or the relays drop out leavin' you without ignition and fuel pressure~

Without proper voltage your fuel pump might not be operating properly so yes it might be running out of gas for that reason. You need a good solid constant 12 volts for all the electronics to work. Alternator should be putting out 14 or so volts to keep battery charged and run all the electronics, lights, ect. If alternator is not putting out 14 volts your battery will die quick because it alone can not keep all the electronics operating properly.

I have not yet because it will not stay running long enough to even get off my street. (friend is bringing tester after work) It will start if I let it sit for approx an hour it just wont start right after it dies. And only runs for maybe 60 sec.

it is "brown power" which ECU's are unhappy with....droppin' relays will occur....get that connection of the MAIN ground wirebrushed and all will be sixes and sevens~

take a multimeter and test the voltage at the relay box...a primitive testlight would not glow so much if a multimeter is unavailable~

Got a buddy bringing a tester now. Thank you both for your help and suggestions it is much appreciated.

Get a working battery. Take your crankshaft sensor out clean it and put it back in. If your car starts that just means your crankshaft sensor went bad. It will sometimes happen when a battery dies. It sounds like you are in the same boat i was with my stratus. Thats what happend to me and thats how i fixed it.

Sandra Klette

did u try the coil pack i have a 2006 an my did this wouldnt start an engine light came on this fixed it .