2006 Dodge Caravan

Asked by Jun 21, 2010 at 10:09 AM about the 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan

The transmission is wining. After getting the van warmed up it wines a lot! What would cause this?
Mark

11,635

it might not be the transmission it could be your power steering pump running low on fluid. but if it is your trans check your fluid low fluid will make the pump whine once you shift it out of park

50

I agree, lack of fluid in power steering pump can cause whining up. Check also your transmission if there's a leak on it.

35

my 2010 does this. Only on cold starts. They replaced my power steering pump and it turns out it still makes the noise. My neighbor, who has the same exact van, had hers at the shop the same time as me. They started hers, and many other vans in the lot and they all make that noise. The mechanic said "it seems like it's just a thing the vans do". Lovely answer HUH?

11,635

^your problem is a very common issue with ALL chrysler vehicles, its been dubbed "morning sickness" theres really nothing to worry about at all the noise is just annoying, if you switch over to using transmission fluid instead of powersteering fluid the problem will stop, because powersteering fluid bubbles in your steering rack those air bubbles are what make your powersteering pump whine in the morning, transmission fluids resistance to this bubbling or airation fixes the problem. although i dont know how the warranty department would feel about it, i do know that it works.

70

Mark, my 2007 gr caravan 3.3 was whining for 2 years and i changed the alternator and it quit whining. I used a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise. alexbb

30

These vans have several whinning spots. As the Alternator wears, it whinnes. So will the water pump. I agree the PS is a big issue. If the fluid is not 100% full it whinnes. Also swap put the fluid with some BG Power Steering fluid, it helps big time. I used an old tukey baster and sucked the fluid out , sucked, filled, ran the engine , and repeat until the fluid looks new. It took about 5 cycles of the steps.

There is a clutch on the alternator that can make a lot of noise. Also the filter in the power steering reservoir gets clogged and that makes the power steering whine, especially while making turns.

180

My 2010 GC only whines when slowing down, sounds like an electric remote control car very annoying lol

10

If the whine is steady and not changing with the speed, it could be the radiator cooling fan motor running. That motor should shut off abruptly after a while. If it's a screech type noise, suspect the overrunning clutch on the alternator.

180

Jerome, the whining stops soon as the van makes an complete stop

180

It's mixed with a lil hum to it

Could be the alternator clutch. Maybe brake pads if they are worn or if whoever changed them did not install the "quiet kit". Make sure the parking brake is off. Transmissions can make whining noises too. Put the selector in neutral once when slowing down and see if the noise changes. When stopped, put the selector in neutral, rev the engine a little and see if the noise comes back as the engine slows down. Basically you are trying to determine if the noise is engine related, transmission related, or running gear related. Once I had some really strange noises on a trip in mountainess areas and discovered it was because the radio was turned on and tuned to a channel that had no reception.

180

I flushed out the power steering fluid and it sounds better than before

Some years ago a mechanic told me that they cure the power steering whine by adding about 2 feet to the hose length to get more fluid in the system. I asked the dealer about that and he said that the reservoir filter gets clogged with dust from the air vent and starves the system of fluid at times and that is what causes the noise. I said "so just clean or replace the reservoir filter?" and he said I could but at the dealership they just replace the reservoir assembly.