Dodge Aries 1985 2.2 engine: Not putting out enough volts. Not fuses/battery/alt. What can it be?

Asked by Apr 04, 2009 at 03:38 PM about the 1985 Dodge Aries

I've replaced the alternator 5 times and know that the alternator is a good one. the battery is good. the fuses/wires/fuse-able links are good. Computer code reads nothing wrong. But the car is running entirely off the battery despite having a good connection to the alternator, and this alternator is a *good* one. What is going on here?

85

CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!!! On an old car like that, the wire technology wasn't like today. I have a 92 Diamante, and replaced my motor -> body ground and my battery -> body grounds. The wires looked fine, but they were all oxidized and beat up from corrosion. I live in Wisconsin, so salt is a huge part of the winter. It may be just that. It is usually something simple.

I used a continuity tester. All the grounds were tested... Do you think it still may be the problem?

1,175

couldn't hurt... try to run a jumper along with the normal grounds... if it works great!, if not you only wasted 10-15 mins

10

Voltage regulator?