car wont run

Asked by Mar 02, 2014 at 02:35 PM about the 2006 Dodge Caravan

car sometimes wont run cant hear the fuel pump, then next day starts right up and runs, lasted for week, then samething wont run, towed it home, next day starts up?
seems to me an elec. problem more than fuel pump? has anyone else had this problem?
I swapped relays,? stillno good,, where else can I look, steering column ing switch or what? please email me paul.96flh@yahoo.com

110,065

When you say won't run do you mean it turns or but does not start or does nothing at all when key is turned?

540

I am accepting that when you say "wont run" you mean the engine wont run, but it is turning over when you try to start it. If this is the case the first thing you need to do is determine if the fuel pump is running. You say you cant her it when it "wont run"...can you hear it when it does start up and run. IF the sound is that distinctive and it is not present each time the car fails to start and run, you can pretty much bet it is a problem with the power to the fuel pump. If the pump itself when out, it probably would be shot for good and not work fine later. A fuse wouldn't also go bad and stay bad...look for loose connections in the line that powers the fuel pump. Also, check the fuse panel itself...I once had intermittent power problem that was finally traced to a cracked fuse panel that would jiggle as you drove. If the fuel pump is working when the engine will not, consider a clogged fuel filter, plugged line or intake in the gas tank, water in the fuel or bad gas.