Improve Explorer Suspension

65

Asked by Dec 18, 2007 at 03:06 PM about the 2001 Ford Explorer Sport

Does anyone have solutions that will improve the overall ride quality of my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.  The shocks were recently in the front of the vehicle, however bumps or pot holes in the road cause the back of the vehicle to pound against the pavement and the overall ride quality is very poor.  Would appreciate any advice that would permit me to improve overall ride quality in this vehicle.

43,535

Depending on the mileage and condition of the springs and bushings, you may want to consider having the rear springs and any applicable bushings replaced. You might switch to a different shock absorber for the rear as well. Other than that there isn't a whole lot that will improve an SUV suspension. With the exception of really large heavy ones, the ride is more truck-like.

Check the body mounts. I had to replace mine (2002) sports . Got mine on the web for less than $150 .Ford wanted around $ 700 Did the job with a friends help

The bushings in those explorers are junk. They actually had a factory recall if I remember correctly. The bushings in the rear are the first to go and that's most likely your slamming noise.