I have a 1980 Jeep CJ5 w/ 304V8. I've replaced the starter, starter solenoid, all battery cables, battery and ignition switch, but it won't even make a click. Is there an ignition fuse?

Asked by May 13, 2018 at 12:50 PM about the 1980 Jeep CJ-5

After replacing everything I can possibly think of,  I considered an ignition fuse
might be blown or tripped,  but I can find none and can find no reference
online.  Is there an ignition fuse and if so,  where is it located?

455

First is that is not an original engine. So you can not trust anything. Try applying power to the solinoid to see if it will engage the starter. I think that you probably have a wiring issue. Your CJ5 is beautiful but has been heavily modified. I used a long wire with alligator clips at both ends to bypass each wire run while trouble shooting my 81.Yes there should be a fuse box. The start circuit is very basic in a CJ5 pay attention to the solinoid wiring. Good Luck, you have one of the best Jeeps ever made. Go connection by connection, power to the switch, power to the solinoid when turned, power to starter then distributor. KISS keep it simple stupid. Good Luck

Best Answer Mark helpful
455

Is there a trade school near by this would be a perfect class project.

455

Another thing, check your connection to ground. I have had to run ground wires to things. I ran new wires to ;engine, frame and body. At that time they used the body as a ground circuit. When they changed the engine they probably did not ground body and frame. I now run a ground to the frame when I have electrical problems, lights and stuff. L8R